Through ongoing collaboration with the business community and a number of academic departments on campus, an interdisciplinary 32-credit hour curriculum has been created to develop the next generation of leaders in commercial real estate. Graduates will develop the skills necessary to evaluate complex commercial real estate transactions while working in a variety of different fields including appraisal, brokerage, capital markets, corporate services and development.
Classes are taught using a combination of highly esteemed academic professors, practitioners, and guest lecturers using a combination of academic theory and practical application, with key concepts reinforced through case studies and comprehensive exercises.
Students are also exposed to professional training in industry standard software and emerging technologies in the real estate industry. Software applications related to advanced financial modeling, Argus, Costar, ESRI Business Analyst Online, statistics, and more will be incorporated into the MSRE curriculum. These opportunities for students are made possible by funds raised by the Childress Center for Real Estate. Additionally, the Center also covers the cost of short seminars taught by industry professionals and trade organizations to teach the students professional skills in negotiations and communication skills.
The program typically takes 1 year to complete for full-time students and two years for part time students. Part-time students can begin in the fall, spring, or summer. Due to course sequencing, full-time students can only begin in the fall.
Prerequisite Courses (may be taken at UNC Charlotte or online with prior approval by the Program Director):
- MSRE 5110 - Foundations of Economics
- MSRE 5131 - Fundamentals of Financial Accounting and Financial Management
*prerequistes may be waived for students who have taken similar courses at another undergraduate or graduate institution
- MSRE 6120 - Real Estate Law and Land Use Policy
- MSRE 6152 - Financial Management
- MSRE 6158 - Real Estate Finance and Investment
- MSRE 6159 - Real Estate Development
- MSRE 6258 - Site Feasibility Analysis
- MSRE 6238 - Real Estate and Urban Economics
- MSRE 6130 - Site Planning, Building Design and Construction Fundamentals
- MSRE 6160 - Real Estate Capital Markets
- MSRE 6220 - Financial Analysis of Real Estate Investments
- MSRE 6101 - Real Estate Seminar
- MSRE 6102 - International Real Estate Study Tour
- MSRE 6999 - Real Estate Capstone